Thursday, February 4, 2016

Grandparents

        This past summer I was able to travel all over the United States. One trip I took was a cruise to Alaska with my 81 year old grandma. I did not realize how blessed I was to do this until I returned home. After this trip, I realized I have been taking my grandparents for advantage. When talking to my friends I realized that most unfortunately do not have their grandparents around or in their lives.
        During August I passed up an opportunity to attend a get together with my other set of grandparents. Sadly, I never got a next time with my grandpa. He unexpectedly passed away the next week. I regret not going to visit him that previous weekend and smiling at his contagious laugh. God blessed me with another angel, but I wish I had one last time with him.
        I do not want to take my grandparents or great grandparent for granted anymore. So, during the past few months in college I have taken up writing to each grandparent when I am thinking about them. This small task can completely change how their day and week is going. To know that someone still cares about them. I don't want them to feel lonely in their last years of life. Even if when you talk to them they tell you the same thing that they told you the week before. Smile and just know they love you so much.
         These past few days I have also received the opportunity to be able to trace my ancestry. I have not ever known much past my great-grandparents, so this was a unique experience for me. I found myself wanting to know more and more about my history. I began wanting to meet these relatives and have them tell me stories of their lifetime. I then realized I still have relatives around to tell me everything about their life. It is just taking the time to sit down and actually listen to them.
        Another option I have had to be able to reach out to my grandparents is my prayer list. I write down the people I want to pray for on a certain day of the week. When that day arrives I text or call the person and ask them how they want me to pray for them. This simple task of just calling your grandparents may me intimidating at first, but I tell you it is completely worth it. Reach out to them and let them know that you still care. Change their mind about the way our generation is perceived.
       Thank you to my grandparents for always loving me and giving me constructive criticism. I experienced my fair share of loss in my life, but I am not ready to let go of my grandparents. I am so grateful for God for giving me these opportunities to share my life next to them.

I have loved you with an everlasting love. -Jeremiah 31:3

Lots of Love,

No comments: