Friday, January 29, 2016

Dominican Republic.. Day 3

Hello friends and family,
I am so glad I am able to share my experience with you through social media and try to share what I've learned day to day. 

Yesterday we returned to the work sight to continue building the house for the pastor. We made a lot of progress with brick laying and pouring columns. 



We use concrete and rocks to make their concrete here. We pour it in the columns which are the parts covered in wood  in the above picture. Our goal was to finish everything we could on the house besides the roof. Due to our lack of time the roof was left unfinished, but  we trained the locals on how to complete it. 


We left the work site early to tour some of the capital city. We toured the center square and looked at some of the tourist shops. Our group was able to use Pesos and learn how the local currency worked. I enjoyed this part of our trip very much. 


This is a tomb were the important people in the DR's history are buried. Some that are buried here are the first teacher, one of the first leaders and many soldiers.

This is equivalent of the guard to the tomb of the unknown solider in the U.S.. He works 24/7 to protect the tombs. 

We got to visit the Caribbean Sea and take in the bright blue water. The waves were extremely high and white caps were not a rarity.


We ended the day with a nice meal in the town square. I ate spaghetti, which is a common food here in the DR. I was satisfied with my food choice after the many days of Dominican food. 

I am sad my trip has come to an end, but I am glad to have made a small difference in the community here. The locals were so thankful for what we were doing for their community. Thank you God and USF for this opportunity. 

Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD of Hosts is with us. -Psalm 46:10–11

Lots of Love,

No comments: