Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Teaching on Pine Ridge Week 1


 I could not ask for better beauty than what God has provided on Pine Ridge Reservation. The views I wake up to each morning are breathtaking, despite the blistering cold, Gods creations is so beautiful. I will be spending the month of January here working with the missionaries and their children. I am filling in for their normal teacher as she is on vacation. It has been a blessing to get to know the missionaries and children on a deeper level.



                                    

Our unit study has been focused on Polar Bears. We have done multiple activities focusing on the parts and habitats of the Polar Bears. The first week of school took place in one of the missionaries home, due to the heat being off and the water being frozen. This was a challenge at first trying to keep the children focused on their studies and not quite having everything we needed to teach. This resulted in some quick thinking and improvising. While I am working with the students Miss Sarah is working with another set of students on math.

                                    

                                                
                                             
Polar Bear Craft we made on Fun Friday!
Science experiment we did showing the affect of Polar Bears blubber.
Using oil as an insulator just like blubber.
  The missionaries have already had brand new additions to their families including new babies and puppies! This results in a lot of baby and puppy snuggles, which happen to be my favorite!                                
Brand new baby Samuel!
                               
Rosie and Ranger
                                

Sunday morning resulted in a beautiful Sunrise on God’s great Earth. We went to church and learned about how following God can result in our ultimate happiness. Sunday night was finished with teen night where I was able to continue to make relationships with the teens I have been working with. We played say what where we used the mouth pieces and said funny words! I love these people so incredibly much and I can truly see God working here.


                                  

                                   

                                   

I have also been able to help with administration tasks that need to be accomplished at Sharps Baptist Corner Mission which is the church the missionaries are pastors in. We were also able to unload a trailer full of donations for the pantry from a church in Virginia! This week we will be able to do more in the church and with the ministry. This first week the propane went out and resulted in many busted pipes within the church and parsonage. We unfortunately were unable to get much done do to the church being a chilly 30 degrees.  

Once again I have been eaten alive by whatever likes me out here. Every time I have come to Pine Ridge I have left with copious amounts of bug bites that itch like no other. Thankfully most of whatever normally eats me is frozen. I do not have nearly as many bug bites as I usually have. Thank the Lord! :)

                                              


I cannot wait to share with you what the next weeks will bring in this mission. If you would like to know more about the missionary families I am working with take a look at the  Hadden Journey! These families are wonderful and full of Southern hospitality. I could not think of better people to spend my time with. I am truly thankful God has led me to Pine Ridge!

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. -Matthew 28:19

Lots of Love,

No comments: